Friday, August 29, 2008

First day of Preschool

We've decided to keep Gabe home this year and try our hand at homeschooling, before it really counts. ;) Since this is new to me, too, we decided to put him in a homeschooling co-op. He'll (we'll) get instruction from a tutor one day a week and do the rest at home. We're following the Classical education approach, which is quite a rigorous model. A far cry from the education received in public schools!

So, on the first day, they asked all of the students to give an oral presentation about themselves. Knowing Gabe, I thought there would be no way he'd do this. I really talked it up for a few days beforehand and we practiced. I also made up some notecards for him to use to remind him of what he would say. It went better than I could have expected! He skipped a few cards that stuck together, but he got up there with no fussing and gave his presentation like we had practiced.

We're also working on the memory verse for next week: John 1:1. He's just about got it, but still gets the last two phrases mixed up. His reward (from his tutor) is a quarter for the candy machine, so he's pretty motivated to get it memorized!

No comments: